Sunday, February 21, 2010

One Pain or Another

Good news on the Cyst Front. The sucker has shrunk in half - down to 2.4cm! Unless it shrinks to 1.5cm or smaller, the oncologist still wants it removed as soon as I am fully recovered from bringing bHunt into the world. But overall, I’m very relieved that we’re able to lower the “alert level” and I’m thankful that it is no longer intensely painful.


I am, however, experiencing other pains now. I have mentioned these pains before, referring to them as “techtonic plate syndrome”. The pain is felt in my pelvic joints, mostly on the right side and mostly when I lie down. It is a sharp pain and it’s most intense when I awake from lying positions. It hurts to lie on either side. It hurts to shift positions while lying in bed. It hurts to sit up, roll over or swing my legs down to touch the floor. And whichever side I choose to lie on, that corresponding leg usually goes numb. I’ve tried ditching the side-lying and have attempted to sleep while slightly propped up. This actually works for less pain, but then my lower back gets sore and my legs still go numb.


I am assured, by my doctor and many others who have “gone before me”, that these are “normal” pregnancy ails. Yet, this is another one of those things that I have never heard of. Then all of a sudden, when “asking around”, all the previous preggos are, like, “Oh, yeah, you’re stretching out…totally normal.” Really? It’s normal to feel stabbing pains in my pubic bone every night? To the point where I can’t go back to sleep after going pee at 4am?


This is one of the many things they should put on the proverbial checklist - Things You Should Know Before You Get Pregnant. In fact, you should have to sign a waiver stating you understand and give up your rights to complain when said “things” happen to you. Well, all of you never-been-pregnant-before lassies, consider yourselves duly warned! Don’t get me wrong, I still am aware that I had breezed through my first two trimesters without much ado (which is partially why my blog was so scarcely populated for a while), and am VERY thankful for that. But to everyone who told me “it will be hard to get comfortable when you’re trying to sleep in the 3rd trimester”, you kinda underplayed it JUST A LITTLE!! Uncomfortable would be welcomed at this point!


Well, good thing the Olympics are on so I have something to watch at 4am every morning!

1 comment:

  1. My dear friend, I'm very sorry to say that the sharp pubic bone pain will seem minor compared to intense labor pains. Hopefully your epidural will be speedy & effective, & that Audrey will not be in such a rush as JoJo was (what epidural??!!). I finally gave up during the last stretch, and relented to the possibility that the early morning risings, pain & discomfort were prepping me for continual interrupted sleep. Good-bye, sleeping for 8-10 hours straight through! Sorry, as I know you love to sleep. :o( Love, Angelina

    ReplyDelete