Friday, October 2, 2009

Too Early for Sleep Deprivation

I can't sleep. It's currently 2:26 am and here I am, blogging. Tonight's insomnia may have been triggered by the Thursday Night Party sounds, courtesy of the college kids across the way. I'd start to drift off a few times and then get jarred awake by the sound of some Bubba laughing like a hyena and some other dude commenting about the football line ups this weekend. Yes, it's that distinct. I even got out of bed at 1:06am to yell at them (no surprise to some of you, I'm sure). But after I emphatically slammed the window closed to further drive home my "Shut up!" point, I stomped back to bed with adrenaline going. So that made it even worse. Not even any drifting after that.

But I haven't been able to sleep well for almost two weeks now. What's going on here? People are advising, "Get all the sleep you can now!". Well... I'm trying! But something tells me this is a prego-related issue, considering I've never been one to have trouble getting my beauty rest (and lots of it, if uninterrupted). Is this payback for not having any nausea? Or is this nature's way of preparing me for the Sleep Deprivation that is to come in the next years of my life?

Apparantly I'm not alone. The sleep gurus at the National Sleep Foundation say 78% of pregnant women suffer from insomnia. Geeez. Not good odds for me. And apparantly, the 2nd trimester, of which I have now entered, is supposed to be the least sleep-deprived of the three. Great! I guess that means lots more blog posting in the wee hours. I do like the suggestion of a massage before bed from various websites. We'll see what J thinks about that tomorrow. For now, I've just finished my warm Chai Tea Latte and I'm hoping the tryptophan kicks in and helps out soon. Sounds like the party next door has finally called it a night too. Lucky for them. Otherwise, they might've had a crazed pregnant woman pounding down their door right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment