
This is another one of the many things I would not have given much thought to if I weren't pregnant. Especially since I have never gotten a flu shot and I don't recall the last time I've been sick with the flu (knock on serious wood!!).
We had almost decided against it when we went for my last visit. When we asked for her thoughts, Doc's response was that if she could force the vaccine on every pregnant patient of hers, she would (the armor visual is back). Whoa! Hold that "no shot for me" thought. Then she throws in the kicker of "a higher mortality rate" and that "one preganant woman just died in Long Beach". Scare tactics? Maybe. I don't know my doc that well yet, but I picked her because she seems reasonable and makes me feel comfortable. So I have to take what she says with some weight, right?
Not surprisingly, many medical sites out there don't contradict what Doc is saying. According to an article on webmd.com, pregnant women are six times more likely to have severe flu disease than women who are not pregnant. And the CDC lists "pregnant women" on the top of their list of "Who will be recommended to receive the 2009 H1N1 vaccine?".
The one, but big BUT holding us back is the unknown. Clinical trials of the vaccination are still going on so risks and side effects are still not fully known. So what does one bet on? The controversial vaccine or the chances you won't catch the bug? I guess either way we go, we'll be going through a lot of anti-bac hand sanitizer this Fall.
i worried about alot of such stuff when i was pregnant with lizzie... but i always kept in mind that God has given this baby to me and He will take good care of it. And so I prayed EVERY night that he will keep lizzie growing healthy, well and strong. (and i still do) It helped me cope with my worries. :)
ReplyDelete